Monday, November 17, 2008

8 = Hate

But what does love equal?



Love equals love... gender is irrelevant. The fight against California's Prop 8 is still going on strong. This past weekend there were rallies all over the nation, and that of course included Santa Cruz. I went down to film and support the cause. The rally started at the courthouse and they were going to march to the clock town and head back. I waited along side one of the bridges to capture the the beginning of the march. The thing that surprised me is that being an observer of such an event you have such an overall perspective of what is really happening. I think that if I had been in the march, I wouldn't have had the realization of the actual scale of this matter. As I was filming, I saw masses of people coming over with their signs and chants... it was overwhelming and I got real teary-eyed. Below is just glimpse of what this looked like. People were lining all sides of the street in mobs.


As the crowd returned to the courthouse, there only 3 people in opposition to the rally, who were in favor of 8. Sad... compared to numbers who showed up to fight for gay rights. I got a lot of video as to which I will share as soon as I can get it together.

I'm not into politics, but this is personal. I can't say that even if I were straight, that I would get married. But this isn't about marriage really, it's about equal rights. It's about letting people go about their business and letting them pursue their happiness. I can't and won't let that be taken away from myself or anyone else. This is one cause I fully support and am involved in.

4 comments:

ThatBeeGirl said...

i saw someone with a "straight against h8" sign in los angeles, and i totally want one. because it's exactly how i feel.

cooper said...

I love that heart sign. I think I shall make me one.

Nice pic of the protest.

Leigh said...

Bee - that's a good one! Some of the sign ppl have are awesome. One guy had one that said "Should we sit in the back of the bus too??"

Coop - I like that one too :)

weirsdo said...

Absolutely.
On the other hand, yay Connecticut!