Friday, September 05, 2008

Just the Begining!

Well happy September! You have no idea how happy I am that Labor Day is over... to anyone who lives in Santa Cruz, this is a joyous time. It means that all the tourists go home and the kids are back in school! It means we get our quiet streets and beaches back, and no more traffic from one end of town to another. Don't get me wrong, I'm stoked that people want to check out this town, but it really wears thin by the end of August.

Also, September starts off the fall surf season, which is my favorite! The tides are bit funky this month, but hopefully we'll get some good swells in! I did buy the Wee Board yesterday and took it out last nite. Man, what workout! I was so proud of myself that I didn't bring a backup longboard or get out and run to Fritz and Laura's for a board switch. I want to prove that I am serious about learning how ride a shorter board. It was hard, but it's worth it, and builds strength in my paddling, not to mention my mentality.

This past week two guys from my surf crew got into the Santa Cruz Longboard Union. Watching your friends get inducted is just as exciting as getting inducted yourself. The SCLU couldn't ask for better people!

Things have been pretty busy, with work and surfing in the evenings. Tomorrow is my mother's birthday, so we are heading to Monterey to eat at one of her favorite places. Then on Sunday I have to go to the catholic ritual of a "40th day after death" prayer for my late aunt. Hopefully I'll have some time to garden and drop in a couple of lavender plants I had just bought.

Until the next post...

1 comment:

Hobbes said...

It's always fun to challenge oneself, but takes courage.
Happy birthday to your mom.