Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Done Right!

I had an absolutely beautiful weekend, in spite of the overcast weather. On Saturday, the annual Santa Cruz Longboard Union Memorial Day Invitational was underway, and I got to see some awesome longboarding! A few of my friends were in the competition and it was great to witness them compete against a few pro's. Below is the scene... gray skies, but colorful sea's:



I was supposed to go to a BBQ that night, but ended up sleeping for about 12 hours. The rest must have been badly needed. I tried to surf Sunday morning at around 5am, but ended up going back home to get yet another hour of sleep. Before I left, I was able to get a pre-dawn Capitola pier:



Later, in the afternoon, I went to a BBQ for the Longboard Union people (one day to which I hope to be a part of). The realization of my good fortune to be among really wonderful people and great surfers had hit. All my progress as a person and as a surfer has been because of my decisions to move to a surf town and immerse myself in it. I couldn't be any luckier.

Yesterday I surfed in the early morning with some of the crew and it was just wonderful. A beautiful SW swell was coming in and the waves were so fun. I went to breakfast with Drew, Todd, and Brenda and had wonderful conversation about American and Dutch culture. For lunch I met up with Alison, after a 7 month period of not seeing her. It was good to reconnect and we are going to try and get her back into the water on Wednesday. Her and I had lunch and headed to the restaurant that Ryan works at. He kept fillin' our glasses of beer (and we had a margarita before hand). I was pretty much intoxicated from that point on (I think that was around 2:30 or 3pm) and had another BBQ to attend. I went over to Heidi and Sarah's home to partake in food, drinks and fun. Yes, I had a couple more margaritas and decided to sober up (this was about 8pm). After a long time I headed home.

Amazingly, I got up at 5am, hangover free, and surfed a good session. That swell hung on, providing some juicy waves. A great weekend was had, no doubt!

7 comments:

ThatBeeGirl said...

i went to santa cruz yesterday. it was lovely! the skies were indeed grey, but it burned off, as i'm sure you know. :)

Paula the Surf Mom said...

sounds like you had a great weekend and I love your pre-dawn pic...Isn't that just the very best time of the day?

Miz BoheMia said...

Oh how I love the updates on your surfin' adventures and your life, period!

Lil' BoheMia and I were in a surf shop the other day drooling over the bikinis and the clothes (I am SO in love with Quicksilver, Roxy, Billabong, Rip Curl and the like... yeah, yeah, might be superficial of me but I just LOOOVE pretty things... oy!) and we were checking out the surf boards and I told her that a good friend of mine is a surfer. She got excited over that, especially because it was a surfer chick (she loves seeing how girls can do anything they want), and said she wanted to meet you, because, of course, it was you we were talking about! And she was even more excited to hear that you are close to home!

The pics are fabulous and the views simply stunning! Can you believe I have yet to truly visit Santa Cruz? Loverboy and I, pre-kids, tried driving down to Carmel once and our car broke down in SC, on a rainy day, in a gas station. It was a shitty car and I sold it to some Mexicans right then and there for $300 and when our friends picked us up we went to a restaurant there, where I got drunk, and that was that... it was dark and it is all a haze of a memory so I love seeing your updates and hope to make it down there some day! Soooo... keep those updates coming amiga mia 'cause this bohemian loves them FO SHO!

Big bohos MWAHS flying your way!

Leigh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leigh said...

Bee - I saw your pics on your blog... looks like you had a great time! Yes, the fog did burn!

Paula - I agree! It's just awesome to witness the world waking up!

Miz B - There are so many surf shops here, as you can imagine! However, for some reason here in Santa Cruz, we tend to buy local... like O'neill and Hotline for our wetsuits and we have so many great local board shapers. I own two Pearson Arrows, which are shaped by local Bob Pearson. I just love my board and couldn't imagine going else where!

As far as Lil B goes, well I can not wait to meet her! Perhaps one day she will become a great surfer! You all must come to Santa Cruz and we will have lunch and I can give you the grand tour! Besos lovely lady! I'll keep the pics and stories comin'!

cooper said...

This looks like heaven to me, and it sounds like you had a great time.
I am now of the working world and can only drool over such a fabulous place with all that spectacular surfing access.

I envy you all that.

Keep enjoying it all.

great pics too.

Leigh said...

Cooper - Yeah... that work thing sure gets in the way of fun. I like this time of year because I can surf before work... the tides just work better early in the morning. I've surfed 5 straight days and I think I am going to give myself a rest tomorrow.

Hope you had a great b-day!