Friday, April 20, 2007

Traveling the Coast

In the last week I've been going up and down central California. On Monday and Tuesday I was down in San Louis Obispo and Santa Maria for work. It's been interesting in that I have never drove around this state. The thought of a surfing safari has entered my mind, but really has materialized. As I was driving from SLO to Santa Maria, I saw the Pismo Beach Pier from the freeway. It looked very surfable, so I vowed after work I would return to get a closer look. When I came back it was so windy and blown out!



So I decided to walk around town, and maybe gain some local knowledge of this break (there were surfers about in the water, btw). While out and about I saw this cool little surf shack:



I headed home and it was completely windy the whole way. Wednesday I was in Monterey and it was still windy, although no less beautiful. A view looking towards Cannery Row and the aquarium:





Yesterday I was back home in Santa Cruz and Capitola. I went for a lovely bike ride along the seemingly deserted Westcliff. On my way home I stopped for some food... now Santa Cruz has so many public painting all over, and I'll have go around one day and photograph them, but here is just one I thought was cute:



It's the wall of a bike shop here in town. I went home and hung out with Fos.

As far as surfing goes, it was a fun week with a lot of swell. I tried to wake up to go this morning, but it was raing and I wanted to sleep in. I'm glad I did as it was pretty darn flat. More to come!

3 comments:

Juliette -ATL said...

Leigh, sorry to use this medium to contact you but I couldn't find your email address on Darlene's blog. ...Darlene always wanted us to connect. If you'd like, please contact me. Thanks, Juliette

Paula the Surf Mom said...

Hey Great little photo blog entry.. I was out there last spring. The Debs and I flew into LAX rented a car and drove up the PCH to Half Moon Bay stopping here and there before finally flying back home from SFO.

We were out there for two weeks, it was a great trip.

Leigh said...

Hi Juliette, no problem... you can email me at leigh44@hotmail.com
I wish it was under better cirmcumstances, but better late than never :) Oh, and you if know anything about the service - i.e. when, where - please let know... I am willing to fly to Atlanta. Thanks for stepping up and contacting me. Joyce said I could call her, but I don't want to disturb the family right now. My next blog post is going to be dedicated to her, and I am currently looking through my old photos.

Paula - That's a great drive! CA has some great coast! Hopefully you took a lot of pics for the Debs to remember!