Thursday, April 26, 2007

Dedicated To Darlene

I've been dragging my feet on this post. One of my dearest friends, Darlene, passed away last week. She was a friend I had met on my study abroad trip to Paris back in 1996. She and her husband were in the program and I got to know them both fairly well. Upon our return to the States, we still continued our friendships. Darlene did get divorced, and I was her friend through out. We've been through one another's relationships and growths and even lived together for a short period of time. She did remarry and had a daughter. About 6 years ago, she and her family moved to Atlanta so she could start a music career. She'd come to visit and I would still see her about twice a year, and we did call one another now and then. The last time I saw her was Halloween of last year, and the last phone conversation was around November. I did try to call her about a month ago because I know she was going through some medical issues, but got no response. Her mother called me on Friday to let me know she passed away. She was only 35.

Darlene was such a presence and touched everyone who knew her. I'm so happy I got to be part of her beautiful life. I couldn't be who I am today without her influence, and I am so thankful I was blessed with her friendship.

Speaking of life, I want to congratulate Shayna and her husband on the birth of her son! Conner came into the world on Monday!

2 comments:

Paula the Surf Mom said...

My deepest sympathies.

cooper said...

Aww
My thoughts go out for everyone.

That is sad.

One just never knows.