Sunday, November 06, 2005

Sweet November


What a wonderful weekend! Saturday I had my posse of Nicole and Steve, and also Michelle and her husband and kids were out. We had a blast. It was one of those evenings where you keep saying "Just one more and I'm going in". The next day I went out about 4pm and caught Hannah just getting out of her car getting ready to go in. It looked small, but we had some good sets roll through. I paddled out ahead, and she met up with me and mouthed "It's cold" as I caught my first wave of the afternoon. She was right...the water temp has dropped into the low low 50's. I have now been reduced to wearing booties and my stiff 4/3 wetsuit. The sun started setting not long after we started, and we were again blessed with a picturesque view of purples, oranges, and pinks shimmering off the water surface. As it got darker, people started to head out, leaving only a handful of surfers in the water. Hannah and I were both going over the "Just one more wave" routine, I was the first to surrender after a couple of fun rides. I waited for Hannah on the beach as an awesome set rolled in. The sounds were incredible in the dark and gave it such a surreal feeling. I could barely make Hannah out in the dark and only knew her by her blue and white Pearson Arrow. I wish all my weekends were like that. It makes the week more bearable.

I did take some night photos, but need to download them. In the meantime, the featured pictured is pretty damn close to what it was like.
http://www.shorelinesurf.com/photo-surf-jan04.htm

5 comments:

weirsdo said...

That sounds great. The writing here is especially beautiful--really conveys the experience.

Tan Lucy Pez said...

I've never gone surfing. What a rush it must be!

I've spent a lot of time in the S.F.bay area. Love it.

On the post below about ex's. Just better to let it go. Seldom works out to be friends. But that seems strange, doesn't it?

Alice: In Wonderland or Not said...

awesome post leigh and your weekend sounds too good. That one more time feeling like when you were a little kid and had boundless energy and never wanted to get out of the water. I bet you feel rejuvenated.

Leigh said...

Weirsdo - Thank you..I'm flattered by your compliment. It was great a time!

Lucy - It is quite the thrill...it leaves you with a huge grin! Thanks for the advice!

Alice - It was amazing. I sort of did feel like a kid again who didn't want to come in. Hannah kept asking "Wasn't that a good one?" All I could do is smile and give her a confirming nod.

SailorAshley said...

brrr
i wore my winter coat to class today. its just about winter where i am