Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Networking Mayhem


After having a short weekend in the beauty of nature, I now find myself up the ass of a server. My company is going through a huge system switch, which includes a server change (from an IBM Netfinity to a Dell PE 2600). This cutover affects everything from sales to operations, so it's a very big deal. My job is to ensure all systems are functional between the cutover and after, so that means that I have to be at all my centers the day before and after. I have 7 centers, and 4 offsites that I service. If you do the math for this week, it calculates to shitload of overtime. Well, one the servers went down at my site here in Campbell and I have been spending the last 24 hours trying to get it functioning for tonight's cutover. It MUST be working in order to do a information migration. I am at the tale end of this issue (thank goodness), but still have quite a long day ahead of me. I actually am waiting for Server Support to finish stuff on their end at the moment, so I have a sort of break.

I have been working since Sunday night, basically just breaking to eat and sleep, and it's gonna be that way until Friday. I will have my social life back and hopefully there will be some surfing involved. I've been a total hermit turning down invites from friends to hangout or have dinner. I'll come back out of my world of wires and data drops soon.

Image from: wids.net/haruka/ 200309a.html

6 comments:

The ZenFo Pro said...

Chica, lord, do I feel your pain. I've got software upgrades to deal with (why is it no two Adobe CS products like to play well with each other? Or with security software? Don't get me started on CS2...I'm holding out for patches)

Anyway, hope things are going smoothly. If not, verbal abuse and threats of violence are known to be effective in server troubleshooting ;)

J.

weirsdo said...

Good luck. Hope you can have fun soon. What exactly is that picture of?

Leigh said...

Jason- I am upgrading my workstation bundles next week, which includes Adobe CS (ai, psd, ind). I can't wait, but you are saying you are having issues crossing them over? Yikes! Things are good now, the server is running! Tomorrow is the last of the installs! Whew! Smacking the systems sometimes helps as well when having computer issues.

Weirsdo- I will be out in the water this weekend! The pic is of the old server and it's a close up of the hard drives.

Alice: In Wonderland or Not said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Alice: In Wonderland or Not said...

This is so totally beyond me I can't even begin to talk about it. It sounds like you will need a fun weekend.

Sometimes computers just need to be kicked.

Good luck with it all.

Leigh said...

Alice - I am sooooo ready for a relaxing/fun weekend! Last night I actually went over to my best friend's house and we bagged on season 2 of the "L" word. It was a good repreive from this hectic week! And yes...kicking the puter does help (mostly me, not the puter).