Thursday, October 06, 2005

Getting My Bits Stuck

Last night I had to go into work to take care of some last minute things before my company cutover to a system and procedural upgrade. One lame task they gave the technicians to do was drill a 2"-3" diameter hole on the counter tops so cables could reach through to the data drops. Easy enough, you can buy a drill saw at Home Depot and attach it as a bit. Well, I got back to work, climbed the counter top so I could get leverage and started drilling. I got half way through, the smell was awful, and then the bit snapped, but not before wedging the bit into the counter. Here's what it looked like:




Good thing my boss brought another drill and bit in! I tried again, but the thing flung out of my hands almost taking off my arm! We then decided to get someone with man-arms to take care of that deed. The guy we found also did not have it that easy, but we got it done. The lesson is: Don't let technical people handle power tools. At least ones with girlie-arms.

5 comments:

A. Hunter said...

Nice Blog my friend. Much better than mine!

Adam Hunter

The ZenFo Pro said...

I was blog hopping tonight and found your blog...the surf pics are so amazing. Makes me homesick for California (lived in Morro Bay down south for a while...Cal Poly grad).

I can so relate. Spent what seemed like days a few months ago cutting holes for temporary data lines into temporary office space...

Dig the blog!
Jason

weirsdo said...

I wanna see a picture of the tool with the girlie arms!

Alice: In Wonderland or Not said...

I'm with weird bird on this one.

That thing looks a little dangerous to me, the bit could fly out and hit someone in the eye. Tools that have to be plugged in and can make holes frighten me, but I think that is due to the fact that when I was little I saw Lethal Weapon and someone got killed with a staple gun.

You get three points for trying though.... ok five.

Leigh said...

a.hunter - awesome

Jason - Ah Central Cali, beautiful place! Thanks for compliments! Cutting holes is not fun

Weirsdo - lol, that tool would be me!

Alice - It was very dangerous! Luckily no one got hurt. My profession is very hazardous ( I have had electrical outlets pop and spark, which has scared the crap out of me) but so far so good. Have you seen a nail gun? My dad was using one when he was doing some home projects and that thing is seriously scary. You could nail your hand to the floor easily!